Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kumquat Beef

The boy and I have a habit of picking up random things at the grocery store, including, once, prickly pear fruits (hint: don't touch with your bare hands or try to eat straight!). One item the boy purchased recently was kumquats--and he immediately regretted it. I did not try it, so I can't verify the claim, but he said they are all but impossible to eat raw. So, when I found a fairly quick beef dinner that used kumquats, he was happy to relinquish his kumquat rights for the greater, and yummier, good.

Kumquat beef

However easy or hard kumquats are to eat raw, it is definitely true that I had no idea what I was doing when I tried to de-seed them. Taking out the seeds seemed to require taking out the mush on the inside as well, so I ended up with about a half cup of kumquat skins. Maybe this is what was required? Who knows! Either way, it worked out great. Delicious "marmalade", but that's no surprise--anything with onions is bound to be incredible.

I used orange juice, rather than carrot juice, and skipped the whole "pepper covered" bit, as I really don't like pepper. About 3 ounces of beef (cooked) and a quarter of the marmalade comes in at 211 delicious calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...