Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

As you know, for several months we did not buy baked goods; I made them all instead. But, there are only so many loaves of bread you can make before starting to get bored. In my quest to find a different starch to bake, I ran into a recipe for what looked like delicious homemade tortillas.

Homemade Tortillas

I replaced the lard with butter and threw in some dried basil and New Mexican mild hatch chile powder (surprise!). The dough was super easy to assemble. The ease of pulling the dough together duped me into a false sense of security about the ease of the recipe overall -- until I began rolling the suckers out, that is. It takes awhile to get into the hang of rolling out tortillas, especially since they're so darn sticky, so the going was very, very slow. It didn't help that I had to juggle frying them one-at-a-time while simultaneously trying to roll out the next tortilla. Tricky, tricky.


These took way longer in hands-on time than any bread recipe I have EVER made. They are also SUPER delicious, but I'm 50/50 on whether I would do these again given the time investment required. Plus I got flour absolutely everywhere, but to be fair, that happens every time I bake. 



Taste: 8.5
Ease: 5 (time penalty and the difficulties of rolling/stretching)
Comfort: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...