Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sweet and Savory Butternut

It is officially the fall (and, according to me, very nearly Christmas), and thus, it is time for butternut squash to make frequent appearances in our diet. Now that I've finally figured out how to peel and chop up butternut squash (hint: big knife!), I am no longer terrified of it and can revel in its complete deliciousness.

For this week's experiment, I decided to try a mashed butternut squash recipe. Here's the delicious result that I came up with.

Mashed butternut squash
Ingredients
1 smallish butternut squash
2 tablespoons fake butter (I use Farmer's Bounty -- erm, I mean, Brummel and Brown)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic (I used the bottled kind)
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 cup Gorgonzola (uhhh I love cheese)
1/4 cup sugar-free syrup

Procedure:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel and chop the butternut squash into roughly 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
3. Combine the fake butter, olive oil, garlic, cloves, cinnamon, salt, and light brown sugar. Toss the butternut squash in this delicious mixture of deliciousness.
4. Put butternut squash on a cooking tray -- I used one with big sides but they turned out not to be needed. Include all of the saucy deliciousness.
5. Roast the squash for at least 30 minutes, turning every 5-10 to ensure that it doesn't brown/get icky/does cook evenly. I think I had to cook mine about 40 minutes.
6. Dump roasted squash into medium bowl. Mush up with potato musher.
7. Add Gorgonzola and syrup, stir up.
8. Add any additional seasonings you want -- I added more cloves and cinnamon.

Yum!!!! Also, you probably don't need to add the cheese if you don't want to (the squash and other flavors are already excellent), but I like to think it adds some creaminess. This makes 4 servings, with each serving at about 140 calories. I will make lots of versions of this again!

Ease of Prep: 8
Tastiness: 9
Comfort: 8.5

2 comments:

  1. Five distinct thoughts:

    1. Yum
    2. The official start of fall is the day that they releases Sam Adams' Octoberfest
    3. Yum
    4. I find that one of those carrot peelers actually works really well for peeling butternut squash.
    5. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yum indeed -- has Octoberfest come out yet? Not really being a beer drinker, I am somewhat out of the loop on these things.

    Also--I have heard that carrot peelers with well. I guess that means that we have really shitty carrot peelers, because ours just don't cut it . . . literally!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...