Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Orange-Ginger Caramel Popcorn

A few months ago, I posted one of my caramel popcorn adventures -- honey-chile caramel popcorn with a cream cheese glaze. This recipe turned out to be a big hit, and I got to share it nearly immediately with two dear friends to celebrate their move into their new home.  The only thing better with deliciously addictive food is sharing deliciously addictive food with fabulous people!

When I shared this recipe with y'all, I was also recommended to try curry caramel popcorn and ginger caramel popcorn. I have not tried curry caramel popcorn yet -- I have big plans for that one! -- but I have experimented a little with ginger. So, I present to you my first pass at an orange-ginger caramel popcorn.

Orange-Ginger Caramel Popcorn
For orange-ginger caramel popcorn, you'll start with the same base we always start with. Only two additional ingredients are required.

Caramel Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced ginger -- I use the pre-bottled kind
1.5 ounces (1 shot) orange liqueur, like Cointreau
1/2 teaspoon baking sod

You'll follow the same, super-easy procedure, too:

Steps:
1. Pop 1 bag of popcorn as per the usual.
2. Mix caramel ingredients, except baking soda, in large microwaveable bowl.


3. Microwave mixture for 2.5 minutes, until very bubbly.
4. Mix baking soda into mixture, toss/mix with popcorn. I usually get a spoon in there to really make sure all of the popcorn gets well-coated.

Orange-Ginger Caramel Popcorn

This recipe has promise but is not a "10" yet -- I would still go for the honey-chile caramel popcorn every time over this recipe. The orange-ginger caramel popcorn is pretty tasty, and I like the combination of orange and ginger as a base. If I had the ingredients, I think I would mix it with candied ginger and candied orange peels, cut into small pieces. Adding in those candied ingredients would give it a more exciting texture and flavor.

Ease: 9.5
Taste: 7
Comfort: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...