Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Orange-Maple French Toast

I work constantly. I get up around 6:30, get dressed, make a quick breakfast, and start work at 7. At some point, I go into the office. I get more work done on the 40 minute metro ride in, work at my desk, leave, work on the ride home. I grab a quick dinner and get back to work until 9-10 at night, and then I go to bed. I am not exaggerating -- you (those of you who know him!) can ask my husband and he will be happy to verify, largely because he works the same hours!

Bear in mind, I am not even close to complaining. I work constantly because I love to work constantly. However, to keep up the pace, I need to make sure to steal a few moments to fuel up for each awesome day with an awesome breakfast. Today, I'd like to share with you a fun twist I whipped up on french toast -- orange-maple french toast.

Orange-Maple French Toast

Those of you who have seen my french toast recipes (such as my gingerbread french toast or my savory french toast, round 1) know the basics. The trick to a fancy french toast is easier than almost any other meal -- just liven up the egg wash!

Ingredients
2 slices bread

For egg wash
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1.5 ounces maple syrup
1.5 ounces Cointreu or other orange liqueur

Steps
1. Preheat griddle over medium (assuming gas stove)
2. Crack that egg into a shallow bowl. Toss in other egg wash ingredients, mix up
3. Dunk your bread into the egg wash. Make sure you get both slices nice and soggy and use up all of the egg wash
4. Cook until golden brown on each side, eat warm!

The orange flavor is very subtle but extremely yummy. Hubs and I both loved it, and will definitely try it, or a variant of it -- perhaps with ginger! -- again soon.

Ease: 10
Taste: 7.5
Comfort: 8

Orange-Maple French Toast

Update: I made this again this morning for the Husband's birthday, with ginger. I think I must have recorded the measurements incorrectly the first time -- even cutting down the amount of Cointreau resulted in a fairly boozy french toast. As hubs says: "you invented French Toast shots! I'm kind of mad I didn't think of it first". Maybe start with 1/4 shot (0.375 ounce) Cointreau and 1/4 shot maple syrup and move from there as your taste buds allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...