Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gingerbread french toast

When the boy took his LSATs (the first time -- second coming up in December!), I got up extra early to make him a ginormous breakfast that would keep him full through the long test. In addition to delicious sausage, I made him gingerbread french toast. This recipe--especially the orange fake-butter--was inspired by this recipe from And All the Trimmings, a cooking blog I have begun following.

Gingerbread french toast
The recipe for a serving (2 slices of bread) is:

Wash:
1/4 cup egg whites
1/2 tablespoon molasses
Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg to taste

Butter:
1 tablespoon fake butter (brummel and brown, as always!)
1 teaspoon or so orange zest

1. Mix fake butter and orange zest thoroughly the night before, pop in the fridge.
2. Morning of: Mix egg whites, molasses, and spices to taste. Mix well--the molasses is much thicker than the egg whites and needs to be convinced to mix into them thoroughly.
3. Dip 2 slices of bread in the egg wash, cook on stove top until delicious and brown.
4. Put on plate, add 1/2 tablespoon of take butter to each bread slice, sprinkle lightly with dark brown sugar.

For 2 slices + butter and some sugar, this is around 250-275 calories (depends on how much sugar and butter you put on -- the 2 slices with no topping are 200 calories). Of course, for VERY hungry people about to take their LSATs and otherwise, the recipe is easily doubled. Not only is this ridiculously easy to make, it is probably one of my best breakfast experiments yet -- sweet, filling, and just incredibly delicious. If that wasn't enough, it's completely off the charts for "comfort" thanks to the holiday "twist". Yum!!

Ease: 9
Taste: 10
Comfort: 10

3 comments:

  1. What a great recipe. I'm sure it was appreciated. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comments! If you end up trying any of the recipes posted, let me know how they turn out :) Looking forward to when you make it back to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also - WOW! You're One Perfect Bite?? I've been going through your blog lately and am loving the recipes -- saving some to make when I have the ingrediants and time. Love your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...