Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Baked Pear with "Streusel"

Another brief blast from the past -- baked pears with streusel filling.

Baked pears with streusel filling

When I was a child, I loved sweet things. Loved, loved, loved them. I had a stash of candy in my room and ate sweets so frequently that my mom was convinced I would get diabetes. Of course, as one ages, one's tastes change. I no longer crave sugar as I once did. Now, don't get me wrong. If you were to hand me the right pint of ice cream on a bad day, I would still inhale it. However, my tastes for desserts has trended toward sweet with a little bit of health on the side. Hence, my increasing love of fruit-with-sugar for dessert: caramelized bananas, baked apples, and the occasional baked pear.

These pears are pretty delicious and very easy to  make. If you also like fruit-with-sugar for dessert, I heartily recommend them. However, in the category of things not recommended is melting the butter for the streusel as the recipe specifies. Doing so -- at least for me -- yielded a delicious sugary glop that could definitely not be classified as streusel. Instead, if I were to do these again, I would let the butter get to room temperature and then fork it in to the sugar to get that crumbly texture.

Ease: 8.5
Taste: 8
Comfort: 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...