These lovely apples, like almost everything I make, are super fast, super easy, and make you feel like you're eating something healthy. The Cooking Light recipe comes to 184 calories per apple, and, as always, I switched out some of the maple syrup for sugar-free and some of the butter for Brummel & Brown. So, from Cooking Light's below recipe, I used 1/8th cup maple syrup and 1/8th cup sugar-free syrup and got it down to 148 calories an apple.
- 4 small apples, cored
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 4 equal pieces
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Put apples in a baking dish and place butter in the middle of the apples. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over apples. Cover dish with foil, bake for 25 minutes or until tender. Let cool and stuff your face!